Sunday, 9 October 2016

Cecelia Ahern - The Marble Collector

Hi guys,


I have just finished this book and it is a beautiful read. As you all know, I am a big fan of Cecelia Ahern. She is an incredible author and as soon as any of her books are available for pre-order, I add them to basket.
Buy it at Amazon here.

"A box of possessions.
A father with no memory.
A daughter with just one day to piece together the past.

When Sabrina Boggs stumbles upon a mysterious collection of her father’s belongings, her seemingly uneventful life suddenly alters and shifts.
In the single day she has to search for answers about the man she thought she knew, a man who can no longer remember his own story, Sabrina uncovers far bigger secrets than she could have imagined. And discovers that sometimes it’s the people closest to us that we know the least."


The book follows the story of Sabrina, who is struggling to find any thread of connection to her father & is a little bit lost in her own world too. He is struggling with his memory and recognition of her, when she receives a box filled with marbles. The box leads her to discover a whole new side of her father, something she definitely needed to find her own identity. The story leads us along two paths; Sabrina's and her dads, with frequent recollections of when he was younger.

I think although the book is called The Marble Collector and is mainly about the father's early life, it is also Sabrina's journey to find herself, and discover how she got to where she is.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and while it isn't Cecelia's usual style, it is a thought provoking and well researched piece of writing. I was absolutely fascinated about marbles. I didn't realise marbles were so collectable or worth so much money. This book has also stayed with me too. I feel like I now listen a lot more when my grandparents tell a story and take it all in. 

It will really resonate with anyone who has identity issues also - the book only follows Sabrina over the course of a day, but the journey is of a lifetime. 

I would say this is the best one yet from Cecelia.

Rachael xox

No comments:

Post a Comment