Saturday, 9 July 2016

Film Review ... Live Action: Jungle Book

Hi guys,

Don't we all just adore Disney films? Some of my earliest memories as a nineties baby are watching the Disney films on video (for the younger people, they were a thicker version of a dvd that you had to rewind to watch again) and being a girl, with two younger sisters we had every Disney film imaginable. While every Disney film has hidden meanings and messages, I think one of the biggest influences Disney had on me is the magic. I now base most of my boxset, film and novel choices around the supernatural, the magical stories and fairytales. I honestly believe in happily ever after and so with that, I wanted to do some reviews about the Live Action films from my favourite films as a child. With films such as Tinkerbell, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Mulan on the live action next list, I thought it was a good time to watch some movies and share my feelings.


When I think of The Jungle Book, I think of this version. The animated child friendly version of all animals co-existing together apart from the odd snake and tiger and everything does have a fluffy coating. The idea of a young boy being brought up in a jungle and surviving due to a pack of wolves, a panther and a grizzly is just amazing for a child. The story is told in the typical Disney film style - a little bit of sadness but a lot of love and a happy ending.

When I heard that The Jungle Book was being remade, I was so excited. Not only could I not wait for the special effects and the animals, I was very interested to see what they could do with the storyline to retain the magic for the children but still make it watchable by the adults. 


The story of The Jungle Book didn't change a lot from the original film but it did alter slightly. You can definitely see where the modernisation has occurred. The jungle book is the story of Mowgli, a man cub, who was found by Bagheera, the panther, as a baby near the dead body of his father. Bagheera, being the nice panther he is, rescued the boy and took him to the wolf pack and found a female wolf who raised Mowgli as her own. The live action version does focus more on his relationship with the wolves. The co-existence of the animals together in the jungle is also explained by the need of the sharing of the watering hole due to a drought. 

The special effects and imagery are amazing and you do get the adult version. Don't get me wrong, children will be thoroughly impressed and love it all the same but I feel like as an adult watching The Jungle Book (animated) now, you have to justify why animals could be together. Whereas, this new version actually explains why!

So, from me, go watch it. Go get your kids and grandparents watching it too. While it ends differently to the animated, I think it may give us the option for a sequel (?) and definitely doesn't disappoint. 

Warning - the tiger is very scary!!

Rachael xox


1 comment:

  1. Oh I really wanted to go and see this, but I missed it! I will definitely buy the DVD when it comes out! I can't wait to see it! x

    Victoria | http://victoriaahelenn.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete