Friday, 24 June 2016

South Lakes Safari Zoo ...

Hi guys,

I have been on so many trips recently, and I just haven't had chance to blog about them! I absolutely love going to a zoo and there aren't many near to us so we do have to travel to see the animals.

My hubby and I went with some friends to a campsite nearby and we just had to go visit the zoo. I took these snaps of the beautiful animals. I think one of my favourite things about this zoo is how up close you get to the animals. A lot of them are "free range". Emus, lemurs and kangaroos have a wander around and you get to interact with them. You can also buy feed from the shop for the kangaraoos etc. Another fab thing about the zoo is that they have feeding times for the animals. This involves either hand feeding (giraffes & penguins) or pole feeding (the big cats). Definitely time your visit around these feed times and make sure you get there early enough to get a good view. If you go at the right time, you see the baby animals - like these baby wolves - gorgeous!
















I think one of the main attractions for me for this zoo is that they believe 100% in conservation and part of their aims for the park is to protect the endangered animals. If you get time, pop in the gift shop and pick up the book from the author, David Gill. It gives the background of the zoo and reinforces the work they are doing.

They also have some sort of kids go free offer at the moment, so perfect time to go. It is definitely travelling to!

Rachael xox

P.S. South Lakes has been under a lot of pressure by health and safety chiefs recently. My views of the park are not professional and my comments and opinions are only my own, however, I do think that if they were that concerned by the health and safety concerns of the park, then maybe they should have done something sooner? They also had a lot of bad press regarding the incident with the young lady and the tiger. While I am not privvy to all information and don't want to comment unseemingly - if the council and government worked with them instead of against them, maybe we can save animals and provide tourism to the area at the same time. If this park does close then it will be a crying shame. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment