Friday, 10 June 2016

26 !!!!

Hi guys,

Well I had my birthday this week so I am now 26! I am now classed as late 20's which is a little bit sickening. I celebrated with friends and family, I will share the details in a separate blog soon, but I just wanted to write myself a little goals list.

When I was 21, I wrote myself a little checklist of what I wanted to achieve before 30 years old. I don't like the idea of lots of pressure on myself. I treat it as a sort of bucket list and I now wanted a record of my achievements so far. 

To put you in the picture, at 21 years old I was living with my then boyfriend in a rented house in Ingleby Barwick. I was working as an assistant manager in a charity retail store as well as studying full time for university.

So my twenties' checklist was as follows ...


  • Get married
  • Buy a house
  • Finish my degree
  • Promotion to manager
  • Start my own business
  • Write a novel
  • Do something BIG
So how have I done?

Well, we got engaged in 2011 just after my birthday and were then married in 2013. We have now been together for nearly 10 years. We bought a house in early 2013 just before we were married and renovated it. We have actually just sold our house and are buying a new one shortly. For early - late twenties, we are doing quite well on the house front. I finished my degree in 2012 and came out with a 2.1. I also got a new job as store manager in British Heart Foundation shortly after our birthday again. I am now an area manager for a retail company which I quite enjoy, although sometimes its a little hectic. I trekked the great wall of China in 2011. I loved this experience and I did class this as something BIG. It involved a lot of training and was exhausting but I also had the best time. We did it for Sue Ryder and raised a lot of money too.

So that leaves me with starting my own business and writing a novel. I have planned fully a series of three books - it is a bit of a young adult, adult crossover with a supernatural edge. I have also written some of it. I just find it hard sometimes to sit and have the concentration needed to write it fully! 

Running my own business is a dream I have always had. I am super organised, efficient and I am super self motivated - this is exactly what I need in my current role but I do want to develop these skills to start my own business. I have looked into franchises and several business ideas but I want something I can develop alongside working full time too. I am a glutton for punishment, definitely. 

I have several ideas but nothing concrete. However, I am at the moment studying several courses to help me with my skills and to also find my niche. I am a big believer in self education and think everyone should keep on with training and skills development - you never know when you need something specific for a new job. 

So, in all, I feel quite accomplished when I see it written out like this, but I do feel like I need to update these goals to keep me on track before 30! I don't have a lot of life goals that I want to achieve at the moment - the majority of goals area really activity based!

So my new "30" bucket list ...

  • Write a novel
  • Run my own business
  • Visit Rome
  • Visit Athens, Santorini & Mykonos
  • Visit Las Vegas
  • Do a Race for Life
  • Harry Potter Experience ( a little bit of a silly one but I have been wanting to do this for so long now!)
  • Get fit and healthy - a biggy for me that I haven't quite achieved so far. I do a lot of fitness - I never stop but I need to be more consistent!
Do you have any goals you want to achieve?

Rachael xox


No comments:

Post a Comment