Friday, 25 April 2014

Friday Book Review: Slated by Teri Terry

Hi guys,

So I have just finished reading this book and I have popped the next two on my wishlist on Amazon for "payday" purchases! I have been reading a lot of chick lit lately and so I saw this book looking at me on the shelf and I thought I would start to read it, but then I couldn't put it down. The book is Slated by Teri Terry.


Book Description

What would you do if your entire memory had been erased?

Product Description

Kyla's memory has been erased, her personality wiped blank, her memories lost for ever. She's been Slated. The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla's mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?

I am not doing any spoilers for any books, that is not what I want to do. I am just putting books out there that you may not have heard of or may not want to read, but ever the encourager, I want people to read and if reviewing a book or two and giving my opinion means others are going to read, then so be it.

Okay, so this book starts with the main character, Kyla, awaiting the arrival of her parents to come and collect her from a hospital. What we then find out is that Kyla has been "slated", the government's form of punishment to terrorists or criminals under sixteen, the cut off age for the treatment. She is then released to her parents, who are in fact, not her real parents. They are the adopted parents that the hospital find for her to go and live with. As she navigates herself through the uncharted territory of school and adapting to life, she has another challenge to face. Everyone who is Slated, wears a band called a Levo, this measures how happy or angry you are, and if it dips below a certain level, the levo will fry your brain.
You find yourself liking the character and you root for her throughout the book, you don't want to see her get hurt. I think it doesn't matter what she did before she was slated, we feel that we don't need to know that as much as she does, because we like who she is now. It is always interesting to see how the future changes with different author's perspective. I wonder what the world will really be like in the 2030s. 
The imagination that has gone into this book matches that of The Hunger Games and The Dust/Wool/Shift books. It is so well written and when I finished reading the book, it made me want more. I couldn't put the book down. It is part of the books with bite website, this pushes you onto different books that you may like if you enjoyed this one. Well worth a look.
Get yours here!
Enjoy, Rachael xox

No comments:

Post a Comment