Friday, 22 November 2013

Friday Book Review: How I live now by Meg Rosoff

Firstly, this book is a children's book. I picked it up in a charity shop when I read the back and I was intrigued as it had won awards and received excellent critical acclaim. Secondly, they have made it in a film this year and it has now been made into a film that was released and will be released on DVD in February. I haven't seen the film which I am glad of because I like to read a book first as I feel there is background you get in a book that you don't get in a film. I also want to add a third thing, and that is although this book is a children's book, I would definitely say it is for an older child on the transition of reading adult books as I find there are some parts of the book that are quite disturbing.


Buy yours here

This is the description of the book taken from Amazon:


"How I Live Now is an original and poignant book by Meg Rosoff, now a film tie-in edition to celebrate the release of the major film starring Saoirse Ronan.
How I Live Now is the powerful and engaging story of Daisy, the precocious New Yorker and her English cousin Edmond, torn apart as war breaks out in London, from the multi award-winning Meg Rosoff. How I Live Now has been adapted for the big screen by Kevin Macdonald.
Fifteen-year-old Daisy thinks she knows all about love. Her mother died giving birth to her, and now her dad has sent her away for the summer, to live in the English countryside with cousins she's never even met.
There she'll discover what real love is: something violent, mysterious and wonderful. There her world will be turned upside down and a perfect summer will explode into a million bewildering pieces.
How will Daisy live then?"

I have always been a reader and at the age of ten and eleven when I would sleep at my grandparents on a weekend I learnt a lot by making my way through Danielle Steel's novels. I have always had a vocabulary that was older than my years but this is just because I read. A LOT.

This is the sort of book that I would have read at this age and could have understood to a degree. I still found myself confused as to what the book was about. I mistakenly at first thought that any reference to war was all about the a genuine world wars but there were too many modern references so I then started the book and realised it was a fictional war about an invasion from an unknown person(s) in Britain. I stupidly imagined the book to be based on real events but it was complete fiction. As a lover of fantasy and sci-fi and basically completely made up fiction, I was quite surprised that I approached this book in that way but I think it was because I approached it as an adult book rather than a children's. Once I read more into it and I took away any factual approach to it, I had a different reaction. It was poetic, sad, violent and absolutely heartbreaking and what I could imagine to be a true story in an occupied Britain and also what I could imagine could happen in occupied countries. Think - Atonement for children.

See you soon,

Rachael xox

P.S. I use Amazon for my reviews simply because this is where I buy most of my books from - usually on a Kindle.


No comments:

Post a Comment