Friday, 15 November 2013

Friday Book Review: Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

This is a book I read quite a while ago but I have recently re-read it because I really enjoyed it. This is Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton and is only her second novel but it is amazing!



Product Description taken from Amazon:

"There is a fire and they are in There. They are in there . . .

Black smoke stains a summer blue sky. A school is on fire. And one mother, Grace, sees the smoke and runs. She knows her teenage daughter Jenny is inside. She runs into the burning building to rescue her.

Afterwards, Grace must find the identity of the arsonist and protect her family from the person who's still intent on destroying them. Afterwards, she must fight the limits of her physical strength and discover the limitlessness of love."



This book hooks you from the beginning. Afterwards talks about a mother and daughter's relationship as they rebuild their lives after a school fire. I love how Rosamund keeps you 100% gripped until the very end of the book and how her characters develop over a small period of time. I even find myself saying, "that is so Grace" when she does something that I find typical of the character. 

I love the added element of the "whodunnit" to the story. It provides an added dynamic to the book. I must admit that usually when I read a book, I donate them immediately to the charity shop that I manage. However, this one will stay on my shelf until I fancy reading it again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment